His Life And Times
by John W. Braue, III
This timeline does not include every possible datum that could be extracted
from LMB's works. Neither is it intended to be in any way definitive; it was
compiled by me, without LMB's permission or assistance, and must therefore be
considered to be fanfic at best.
- Early 3rd millenium 1
- Alpha and Beta Colonies
Invention of Necklin Drive, exploiting natural wormholes.
- c. 2300
- Firsters arrive on Barrayar. Connection to rest of wormhole nexus disappears.
Time of Isolation begins.
- c.2500 - 2700
- Bloody Centuries on Barrayar. Rise and establishment of native feudalism.
- c. 2525
- A Kosigan is created Vor on Barrayar. 2
- c. 2550
- Settlement of Athos.
- c. 2575
- Uterine replicator a working device. Creation of quaddies and
- c. 2600
- Falling Free. Invention of artificial gravity on Beta Colony.
The reigning Emperor Vlad Vorbarra weds Lady Vorlightly on Barrayar *.
- c. 2645
- Birth/creation of Lisbet Degtiar. 4
- late 27th century
- Dorca Vorbarra accedes to (or seizes) the Barrayaran throne.
Unification of Barrayar. Birth of Yuri and Xav Vorbarra. 5
- c. 2690
- Birth of "Ry" Ryoval, later Baron Ryoval. 6
- Piotr Vorkosigan born. 7
- Ezar Vorbarra born. 8
- c. 2703
- New wormhole connection to Barrayar via Komarr discovered. Time of Isolation
- c. 2705
- Creation of Lily Durona I. 9
- 2713 - 2733
- First Cetagandan War. Cetagandan invasion and occupation of Barrayar.
- c. 2720
- Birth/creation of Fletchir Giaja. 10
Birth of Georish Stauber, later Baron Fell.
- Aral Vorkosigan born. 11
- c. 2735
- Death of Dorca Vorbarra; accession of his son, "Mad"
Birth/creation of Lotus Durona, later Baronne Bharaputra.
- Padma Vorpatril born. 13
- Cordelia Naismith born. 14
- Yuri attempts to exterminate all other descendants of Dorca Vorbarra; death of
Aral's mother and elder brother. Piotr Vorkosigan and Xav Vorbarra back Ezar Vorbarra
in Mad Yuri's Civil War
- 2739 - 2741
- Mad Yuri's Civil War. At its end, Yuri is killed and Ezar assumes the
- c. 2740
- Birth of Serg Vorbarra.
"Ry" Ryoval assassinates his father and seizes power. Lily Durona and Georish
Stauber escape from him.
- c. 2745
- Fletchir Giaja accedes to the Cetagandan thone. 16
Birth of Simon Illyan.
- Birth of David Galen (a/k/a Duv Galeni).
- Birth of Etienne Vorsoisson.
- Birth of Gregor Vorbarra.
- Barrayaran conquest of Komarr.
- Shards of Honor. Sergyar discovered. Aral Vorkosigan and Cordelia Naismith
meet, fall in love, and wed. Serg Vorbarra killed.
- Barrayar. Death of Ezar and accession of Gregor Vorbarra. Aral Vorkosigan
named Regent. Vordarian's Pretendership: Padma Vorpatril, Princess Kareen,
and Vidal Vordarian (among others) are killed. Birth of Ivan Vorpatril, Miles
Vorkosigan, Elena Bothari, and Ekaterin Vorvane (later Vorsoisson).
- Komarr Revolt.
- Birth/creation of Mark Vorkosigan.
- Creation of Taura.
- c 2787
- Aral Vorkosigan steps down from the Regency, becomes Prime Minister.
- The Warrior's Apprentice. Death of Piotr Vorkosigan; Konstantin Bothari
killed. Elena and Basil Jesek wed.
- Birth of Nikolai Vorsoisson.
- "The Mountains of Mourning"
The Vor Game. Vervani War; Hegen Hub Alliance defeats Cetaganda.
- Cetaganda. Cetagandan Empress Dowager Lisbet Degtiar dies.
Ethan of Athos.
- "Labyrinth". The Quaddie musician Nicol is seen.
- "The Borders of Infinity"
Brothers in Arms
- The Borders of Infinity (frame).
- Mirror Dance. Cetagandan occupation of Marilac ends. Miles is killed,
temporarily. Baron Ryoval is killed, permanently. Aral Vorkosigan steps down
from the Prime Ministership (for health reasons), is named Viceroy of Sergyar.
- Memory. Miles is medically discharged (as an alternative to being
cashiered) from the Barrayaran Armed Forces. Simon Illyan is afflicted by
an uncertain force; as a result, Miles is first temporarily, and then
permanently, named an Imperial Auditor. Elli Quinn is promoted to
Commanding Admiral of the Dendarii Free Mercenary Fleet (which remains a
covert arm of Barrayaran Imperial Security).
- Komarr. Miles meets and falls in love with Ekaterin Vorsoisson. Death of
her feckless first husband, Etienne Vorsoisson.
A Civil Campaign. Gregor marries Laisa Toscane (loud cheering and muffled
sighs of relief from almost everyone). Miles and Ekaterin, Duv and Delia
Koudelka are engaged (and possibly the rest of the Blonde Commando team).
Rene Vorbretten's right to his Countship is challenged but confirmed; Dono
(nee Donna) Vorrutyer defeats Richars for the Vorrutyer Countship. The
loon Count Vorfolse and the insufficiently cunning Count Vormuir make
- Diplomatic Immunity. Miles and Ekaterin have been married for "a year and
a half"; their first children, Aral Alexander and Helen Natalia, are about
to be born (by uterine replicator). Events take Miles and Ekaterin to
"Quaddiespace", the Union of Free Habitats, where Bel Thorne is partnered
- 1 Tying in the Vorkosigan Saga with the Christian-oriented dating system now
in use is, of course, completely arbitrary. However, a number of things,
including LMB's posts on the Bujold mailing list, suggest that Miles'
lifetime is almost, but not quite, a millennium in the future.
- 2 Miles several times comments that he is the eleventh generation of House
- 3The quaddies in Falling Free are in their late teens, a few of them
perhaps as old as twenty. Allowing a few years for some false starts, this
seems to me to be the latest date to the which the invention of the uterine
replicator can be assigned.
- * Is he is to be identified with the Emperor Vlad Vorbarra glancingly
mentioned in Mirror Dance?
- 4 Miles' comment to Ivan in Cetaganda. Nobody, least of Miles, is going to
be concerned about being accurate to the day.
- 5 Dorca had a claim to a pre-existing Imperial title through his mother (The
Warrior's Apprentice); it's never been clear whether he succeeded in the
normal course of things, seized the throne.err, campstool, or was accepted
by the Vor in default of a more obvious heir.
- 6 Given Miles' thought at their first meeting ("Labyrinth") that "the brain
in that body has to be at least a century old".
- 7 There's a complex interplay between Piotr Vorkosigan's personal history
and off-world events. Miles relates that Piotr's life changed immensely
between ten and twenty, twenty and forty, and forty and eighty. The
changes at twenty and forty almost have to be identified with the beginning
and end of the First Cetagandan War. It is not too much, then, to identify
the change at age ten with the Rediscovery. The dates do not fit exactly,
but Miles was giving a pep talk, not a history lecture.
- 8 The years of Ezar's birth and death are fixed in his conversation with
Aral at the end of Shards of Honor. He claims to have been Piotr's
military apprentice, which suggests that Piotr was the elder; I don't make
him the elder by much, but apparently Piotr was a brilliant guerilla
commander, at least, whilst Ezar's name is never mentioned in connection
with the First Cetagandan War. As Emperor, he (or his propagandists and
panegyricists) would have made much of his involvement, if there was
anything to make much of; this suggests that his role was subordinate
and merely competent. Since he was not one of Dorca's sons, but of a
collateral Vorbarra branch, this is not surprising.
- 9 Given her apparent age in Mirror Dance.
- 10 Miles says to himself that he is "older than my father" in Cetaganda.
- 11 The year of Aral's birth is also fixed by his conversation with Ezar.
- 12 It is never stated explicitly, but it is implied, that Dorca survived the
First Cetagandan War. It is perhaps pleasant to imagine that, after twenty
years of exile, Dorca returned in extreme old age to Vorbarr Sultana to
spend his last few years in comfort.
It also suggests that Yuri may not have been so much mad as bad. Given my
other assumptions here, he must have been at least pushing sixty when he
acceeded to the throne, with little time to reign before him (cf. Victoria
and Edward VII) and to put his mark on history. Unfortunately, he did so.
Finally, it suggests that Dorca's epithet of "the Just" is at least
partially propaganda. It seems unlikely that Yuri created his secret
police and his death squads out of nothing; the Dorca-Yuri relationship may
have had not just elements of Victoria-Edward VII, but also of Tiberius-
Caligula in it.
- 13 Padma is identified as ten years younger than Aral in Barrayar.
- 14 Cordelia states in Shards of Honor that she is thirty-three years old.
- 15 Note that by Ezar's statement in Shards of Honor, he was forty-four at
the start of Mad Yuri's Civil War. At some point, probably very early on,
he married an unnamed daughter of Dorca (per LMB). She must also have been
in her forties, given the assumptions here. A child of relatively elderly
parents, as Serg must have been, is likely to have problems (to put it
mildly, in Serg's case).
- 16 LMB (in authorial voice) states in Barrayar that Fletchir came to the
throne "at less than thirty, a fantastically young age for a Cetagandan".
© 1999-2002 by John W. Braue, III (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Current version by Michael Bernardi, email@example.com
All comments or queries about this Web page to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Last updated: May 19th 2002